- find a mentor within the industry
- have great ideas and communicate them in a dynamic book
- to strengthen my online presence
- not to squander being a student - i don't just mean with discounts and lack of council tax
- to challenge the briefs that we are set
- make the most of my time off
i'm really looking forward to the workshops that will be running, especially the stand-up comedy - it's always something i've wanted to have a go at. this whole week; from meeting everyone on the first day, to going to a lecture given by tom murphy from BBH, to being suffocated by lynx boy spray at the SU bar, it's all got me really motivated about what lies ahead this year. i can't wait to get into agencies and to start producing work that's innovative and exciting, that i can be proud of.
bruce's top tips:
- go into the industry through the planning route
- experiment, take risks and don't be afraid to make mistakes
- seek feedback: you're entitled to ask for thorough, honest feedback
- become informed about lots of things, not just advertising
- have something to say
- never stop producing
- don't be boring and don't get too comfortable
- become invaluable
- challenge everything, don't take it all at face value
- get discussions going
- identify what you do best and don't compromise on it
- don't hold back on pushing a concept, don't follow convention
- if you're on a roll, keep going
here is what i have learnt and experienced so far:
- many people have never seen falling snow - a small-worldy observation, nonetheless true.
- roland from the library is a delight - in fact everyone i've met at bucks has been friendly and helpful. ♫ maybe it's because i'm a londoner ♪, maybe i spent too long in paris, maybe it's in such stark contrast to my previous uni experience or maybe i'm just a die-hard cynic, whatever it is it came as quite a shock.
- the backwards commute is not for me, next week i shall be decamping to the sunny heights of high wycombe.
- there are 24 hours in a day. this first week has been painful but hopefully my body clock will have set itself to 'productive' before too long. thank you caffeine.
- i'm going to have to up my game in terms of asking people for what i want.
- i've picked the right course.